For the past 18 months, we have been battling the unthinkable. Southern California Edison (SCE) is preparing to construct MULTIPLE HIGH-VOLTAGE ELECTRICAL SUBSTATIONS on the only remaining 2.5-acre parcel in the in the middle of our well-developed, master-planned Irvine Spectrum 5 Business Park... within 10 feet of existing businesses and 1600 feet of existing residential neighborhoods. High-Voltage Electrical Conduits spanning 3.5 miles are already being installed for this project within 100 feet of existing residential neighborhoods throughout Irvine (including Hidden Canyon, Laguna Altura, and Quail Hill). READ MORE...
WHO ARE WE
We are a diverse group of business owners and residents with the following in common:
- We moved to Irvine because of its beautiful master-planned communities.
- We moved to Irvine because of its reputation as one of the safest cities in the world.
- We moved to Irvine, Spectrum 5 because of its strict CC&Rs and City Building Codes.
- We are all shocked and furious at what is happening to Spectrum 5, and to the City of Irvine.
The problem is Southern California Edison (SCE) is preparing to construct MULTIPLE HIGH-VOLTAGE ELECTRICAL SUBSTATIONS in the middle of an existing and well-developed business park WITHOUT going through any public review, in violation of City of Irvine Zoning Laws, and violating area CC&Rs.
These municipal ordinances, environmental policies, and CC&Rs are meant to protect existing property owners' rights, protect the general public from hazardous or dangerous developments, and to ensure the environment won't be irreparably harmed or destroyed.
- The City of Irvine's Zoning Codes, Ordinances, and Environmental Policies REQUIRE SCE to file for, and obtain certain permits, such as the Conditional Use Permit (CUP), to determine whether SCE can build a substation in Spectrum 5.
- The Irvine Company CC&Rs PROHIBIT specific characteristics associated with the construction and operation of a substation facility with the Spectrum 5 area.
Unfortunately the City of Irvine, guided by misinformation, has made poor decisions that allows this illegal project to continue and puts the public at risk.
... and this is only the beginning!
- Loss of employees.
- Loss of tenants.
- Businesses have moved.
- Buildings are sitting empty.
- Protect Irvine's Charter City rights and its ability to enforce zoning codes, ordinances, and land use regulations.
- Verify the City enforces the applicable zoning codes, ordinances, and land use regulations for Spectrum 5.
- Help all involved parties identify safe and compatible sites for electrical substations and their operation.
- Ensure the substation facility is relocated to a more suitable site using all legal means necessary.
- Inform the citizens of Irvine of irresponsible, unethical, and/or unlawful conduct by The Irvine Company, SCE, and the City of Irvine.
- Re-establish Irvine as a "pro-business" city it once was... benefiting the City, its businesses, its residents, and its taxpayers.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP